One of the things that I’ve been working on is better portions when I cook. I am known for putting too much food on the plate… whoops. So, I have this recipe to make broccoli and Italian sausage calzones, but they are SO big and filling that you just feel bloated after eating them.
I decided to make mini-calzones instead, and even ended up with some leftovers.
The best part is I feel adequately full… not overstuffed… but full. Exactly what I was looking for.
Mini Broccoli and Italian Sausage Calzone
- 1 Pillsbury Pizza Crust (in refrigerated section)
- 2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup frozen broccoli, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375*. Bring water to boil and cook broccoli; in the meantime, cook Italian sausage until light brown (make sure to separate into smaller chunks while cooking).
- Roll out pizza crust and cut circles into desired size (I used the top of a Ziploc container for measurement). Place on greased pan.
- Fill on one side with small amount of sausage, broccoli and mozzarella. Roll other side on top, and seal with your fingers by pressing firmly down. Lightly coat with olive oil. Repeat until all crust is used (approximately six).
- Bake at 375* for 20 minutes, or until light brown. Serve with marinara sauce at desired temperature (I prefer cold).
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Facebook