Sometimes, after a hard day, my favorite thing to do is get creative in the kitchen. I had a recipe that I had cut out of Real Simple a few weeks ago — Tex Mex Rice — that I really wanted to try to make tonight. But, I wanted to spice it up a bit.
Yeah, I don’t own too many exotic spices. I love how versatile garlic powder is though — I mean, you can use it in Italian AND Mexican?! Awesome.
Then it was time to start making my signature pico…
Granted, it’s pretty easy… Chop up some tomatoes, cilantro, scallions and cilantro and mix together until you like the taste. Just don’t get too excited on the cilantro or onion because you’ll be tasting it the next morning.
Next it was off to making the mix to top the rice.
I cooked up some steak and mixed it with diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and a secret combination of the spices above.
Drum roll please….simmer for a bit until it’s heated through and then put the mix on top of some rice, topped with sour cream and pico… andddd…
Pure deliciousness. Enjoy!
Tex Mex Steak and Rice Bowl
- 1/2 tsp of garlic
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder
- Dash of red chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, partially drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 ounces of sirloin steak
- Pico de gallo for topping
- Cheddar cheese and sour cream for topping
- Make the pico to taste. While it is chilling in the fridge, cook the steak on the stove in a skillet until brown.
- While the steak is cooking, mix together the spices, diced tomatoes and frozen corn until cooked through.
- (I used Minute Rice, so cook your rice accordingly. Once the steak was cooked through, I started the Minute Rice which took 8 minutes)
- Then, chop up the steak and add to the mix. Also add in the black beans, and allow to simmer for a few minutes until cooked through.
- Top rice with mix. Top rice and Tex Mex mix with toppings of choice including cheddar cheese, pico and sour cream.
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Facebook