I am not going to lie. This has probably been one of the toughest training weeks I’ve ever had. Here is what the breakdown looks like:
- Sunday: Battle of Brooklyn 10 Miler
- Monday: Rest day
- Tuesday: 5 mile recovery run + CrossFit
- Wednesday: 12 mile run
- Thursday: 5 mile recovery run
- Friday: 17 mile run
I don’t think my body has recovered from CrossFit yet. My arms are so sore and my legs definitely feel like lead. In some ways… I wasn’t looking forward to this morning’s run. I struggled a bit getting out of bed and knowing that 17 miles loomed in front of me.
Once I was in the park, I even thought about cutting it down to eight miles. You know… making it an easier long run. How I kept myself going? I told myself that I ate my pre-run fuel and I needed to keep going to make it worth it. Plus I had a gel to take… and apparently it worked. And well of course, that whole goal of going sub-3:30. My mind knows that isn’t happening by backing down on tough days.
Anyways! As I said yesterday, time to focus on the positive parts. Here are three things that were awesome about this morning’s run:
1. I feel like morning is the best time of day in New York… before the sun rises over the city and the heat sets in for the day, it’s absolutely beautiful. There was an awesome cool breeze and it was just the right temperature. It seems to be a little calmer and you can’t help but be in awe of this incredible city.
2. My Fuel Belt and I are celebrating seven years together.
Can you believe it? I really can’t. I don’t think I’ve ever owned anything for that long… well, except for maybe this vintage Garmin.
It makes me sad to say it, but I think it’s time for a new one (the post-run chaffing on the lower back isn’t the best feeling)… and am considering a Camelbak.
3. What isn’t awesome about starting your day with 17 miles
and knowing you have a rest day tomorrow? 🙂
Time to go pack… we are headed to North Carolina this weekend for a friend’s wedding. I’ve convinced C that we absolutely need to go hiking tomorrow. He agreed, but I think only because a trip to a brewery afterwards is part of this package deal.
Tips for getting through a tough workout week? What was your hardest workout this week?
Fuel Belt vs. Camelbak?
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Facebook