One month ago, we were wrapping up our 45 hour layover in Honolulu, Hawaii before venturing on to Sydney, Australia. Originally, we planned on heading straight to Sydney… but our flight was much cheaper if we chose to spend time in Hawaii. Well, you don’t have to twist our arms…
So, this is how you can spend 45 hours in Hawaii.
1. Enjoy views of Diamond Head. One of the first things that we did after checking into our hotel was walk the beach and check out Diamond Head. The pictures don’t even do it justice. It is absolutely incredible and amazing to see.
2. Visit a local joint for happy hour. I don’t know about you, but we love going to the local places to eat. It is so much better to get the local flavors rather than nosh at a place you can find in a million other cities.
We ended up going to Cha Cha Cha’s Taco which was a few blocks off the main drag, which was really a great surprise. Great happy hour prices and mostly locals. But we were sad to hear that they were closing in 12 days… being pushed out for a shopping mall. Isn’t that how it always works? I hope they were able to find a new home.
3. Shop up a storm. What is vacation without a little shopping? For some tourist knickknacks, we hit up the International Market Place in Honolulu and enjoyed checking out all the goods from the vendors. Sad thing is, they will be closing at the end of this year. It has been there for about five decades I think so it’s sad that it will be going away… even if it has evolved from it’s original purpose.
4. Go for a hike. Before heading to Hawaii, we booked a tour to see the Manoa Waterfall with Oahu Adventures. It was AMAZING… and even started raining as we reached the rainforest, which was pretty cool.
The views along the way were incredible. I promise we aren’t Photoshopped into these images.
Our awesome tour guide Greg from Oahu Adventure Tours.
The trail that we hiked on has actually been featured in a variety of movies and TV shows, like Lost, Hawaii 5-0 and Jurassic Park. It was actually really cool because it started to rain while we were hiking… which transformed the trail into something else completely.
5. Eat shaved ice! What’s a trip to Hawaii without some authentic shaved ice?!
6. Enjoy the local music. We were lucky to have a hotel with a balcony… so it was great to sit out on it at night and listen to the local music. It seemed like there was always live music playing somewhere and that is what really made it feel like we were in Hawaii.
7. Watch the sunset. I think C thinks I’m crazy because I could literally watch the sunset every. single. night. It is my favorite thing in the world.
And Hawaii has some great sunsets!
We had such an awesome time in Hawaii… a little sad that it was as short as it was. I can’t wait until we can plan our return trip. Now I understand why Kimmy is so in love with this place.
Have you ever been to Hawaii? What did you think?
Do you prefer to relax at the beach or adventure on a tour while on vacation?
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Facebook