Motivation Monday: Challenge

Happy happy Monday! Hope you had an awesome weekend (I did!).

Anyways, the start of a new week = a great reason to challenge yourself.

I spoke about this briefly a few weeks ago in regards to trying something new. But you don’t have to try something new to challenge yourself.

I think challenging yourself can go so far as tacking on an extra 10 minutes to your run. Or doing an ab routine at the end of your workout, instead of lying on the floor motionless. Maybe its challenging yourself to drink more water

No matter the challenge, it will do you some good:

• It will help you test your limits… in a good way. Pushing ourselves that extra little bit is what takes us to that point where you start to change. When it comes to working out, this is the point when you really start to make a difference in your muscles.
  • You will learn something about yourself. A few weeks ago, I challenged myself to a 30-day workout and successfully finished it. I had never followed through with something like that before and I learned that I can do it. You will be surprised at what you can do.
  • You will improve. Remember that old saying, if it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you? SO true. Challenges help us to become stronger, both physically and mentally, and teach us what we can really do.
  • It will open your eyes. Just like trying something new, challenging yourself to go beyond what you normally do will open your eyes… perhaps you will realize that it’s not that hard. Or maybe you will learn that it doesn’t work for you. Either way, it’s a learning experience… and without learning, we can’t truly grow.

crazyrunninggirl.challenge

So this week, I am starting a new challenge: a no-sugar challenge. This terrifies me, but as tough as it will be, it will be a GREAT learning experience. I will learn all the foods where sugar hides and you don’t expect and maybe I will learn I don’t need Mountain Dew in order to live… :)

So, what will you challenge yourself to do this week?

What has your fitness journey taught you about yourself?

Categories: goals, Motivation Monday

19 Comments

• Nikki says:

I’m challenging myself to cross some wedding things off of my list!!

• Well my impending marathon (and the limited training that has gone with it) is my latest challenge. It will be interesting if anything! I really hope my body can survive it. It really will be testing my ability. But I’m looking forward to it (while simultaneously feeling sick). I think it’s important to challenge yourself because that’s how you improve and learn about yourself, like you said.

Gosh good luck with no sugar. That would be tough for me!

• Margaret says:

I have cut back on sugar this year too! I think giving up meat and dairy was easier.

• Aimee says:

I have a very sedentary desk job. I’ve challenged myself to stand up and do 20 squats at the top of every hour this week. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin’ everywhere…. Bubba Sparx. :)

• Steph D says:

No sugar?? That sounds really hard! Good luck!!

I’ve gotten in a really bad habit of watching tv to de-stress at night. I never used to do this until a few months ago, so I’m not sure what happened! This week, I challenge myself not to watch any tv. So many better things to do with my time–including sleep!

• Skye says:

I am starting my Couch to 5K tomorrow. Yesterday I got the app all set up, this morning I went to the gym to figure out how to use the treadmill for it. I have *never* run before for exercise. So, we’ll see how it goes!

• Carson says:

A life without Mountain Dew… sounds tough!!

I recently started eating paleo, but cheat every weekend. This week I am attempting to cut out a cheat meal. It is going to be rough, as I rely on these to get me through the week.

• I recently challenged myself to having less adult beverages. I love coming home after a run, taking a nice warm shower, then relaxing with a cold brew. Well I need to drink more water so that is my challenge, one day down and going strong lol.

Fitness journey has tought me to be more aware of my body. I use to just go out and do stuff (running, football, basketball, etc) without any awareness if my body is ready for that or not. Now I stretch, run, ice, stretch, and foam roll for each run. Night and day compared to my previous fitness journeys lol.

• I set a goal for myself at the beginning of the year that I would no longer buy or have diet pop in the house. I have gone three months now and have only had a couple pops (while traveling and out to eat) and am drinking a lot more water. It has been an awesome change. My little goal this week is to foam roll once a day, as my muscles have been burning and sore lately.