This year was the first year that the summer X Games were held in Austin… of course, since it was only about 20 minutes away from our apartment, we couldn’t resist getting our tickets and going.
We opted for general admission tickets, which let us in the door and in “general admission” seating for all of the events, including the concerts.
It was a hot hot hot (but absolutely BEAUTIFUL!) day, but you could bring your Camelbak and one empty (or sealed) water bottle per person, and they had water refilling stations throughout the grounds, which made a huge difference.
We first tried to head to the free skate park for a skateboarding competition, but didn’t realize that the seating was super limited for general admission. If we paid the upgrade, we would have had some pretty sweet seats. Instead, we kept moving and decided to get a prime seat for Moto X Speed and Style.
We caught some awesome car races… so fun to watch.
And then watched the Moto X Speed and Style kick off, which was super exciting! It makes me want to go out and ride a dirt bike now.
After that, we grabbed some food from Pok-E-Jo’s, which was pretty good. There was some down time, so we headed to the
frat house Monster Energy Truck, where they had some free Monster. I was surprised how much I liked their punch!
It was time to head over to get our seats for the Big Air. Even though we were there about an hour and a half before the competition, the lawn was starting to fill up. We had some pretty awesome seats and this event topped off our entire experience. It was amazing to see the athletes do their thang, and being pretty much front row to see it all!
Afterwards, they had an announcement that general admission for the Mack Miller/Kanye West concert was full so we decided to leave instead of sticking around to watch it on a screen. I’m not that huge of a fan of either so didn’t feel like we missed anything.
Overall, it was a fun day and I’m glad we went! I would definitely encourage you to go if you have the chance, just for the experience and to see what it’s all about.
What to Know
- Bring a Camelpak or water bottle! This was a lifesaver in the heat and a good way to not have to pay $4 for a bottle of water.
- Know that your general admission ticket doesn’t guarantee anything. You have to either find a seat really early or pay for an upgrade. We heard people talking that didn’t get to see one event the entire day because they just couldn’t find seats.
- Upgrades are kinda annoying to me (after all I already paid to get in?), but I recommend thinking about doing one for an event that you really want to see so you can guarantee that you get a good view.
- Wear sunscreen! I missed a chunk on my shoulder and have a nasty burn as a result – ugh.
- If you want to see the main concert at the end of the night, make sure you buy a seat. Like I said, they announced that the GA seats were already filled. But, you have an option to buy a seated ticket for the concert.
Have you ever been to the X Games? What’s your favorite X Games event?
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Facebook