On my training plan today, I was supposed to run 12 miles. But last weekend’s attempt at 17 miles was such a disaster, ending up as only like 12? that I decided I needed to attempt it the second time. And today’s was much better.
I learned a few things from last weekend’s failure:
- Not bringing my own water bottle (even though I have tons of access to bubblers on the trail) was a dumb idea
- I need to get up earlier to beat the heat
- Shirts are annoying
So part of training (vs. just running) is learning from your mistakes and improving on them. This time around… I did just that. I finally tried out by Bottle Band and can I tell you how much I love this thing?
It was a little annoying at first because the water bottle was full and a little heavy (says t-rex arm runner), but once I got used to it, it was like it wasn’t even there. It was so handy to have some Nuun Energy with me because it was just what I needed so I didn’t fail at this attempt.
I also woke up at 5:30 to get out the door before 6… despite that, I didn’t beat the heat. It was ridiculous humid and I was thinking it was going to be a tough one. For some reason, the humidity dropped hugely after the first hour. Any weather nerds have any insight into that?? So weird how it does that like every day.
I did two loops around Lady Bird Lake — my favorite — and did my shorter loop (~7 miles) first and then did the longer 10 mile loop. It made it so I didn’t have to suffer so much in the sun during my way back to the east side both times, just the last time.
Oh, and lastly, I also tried a new (to me) gel that’s been in my fridge for awhile — Chia Surge.
Not gonna lie, it was a little weird at first because the chia seeds are hanging ten so it’s a bit chewy? But I did like the taste (it didn’t linger like other gels) and it didn’t make my stomach angry… extra bonus.
SO happy to have a good 17 miler in the books, especially battling through heat (which is my worst running weather). I can’t wait to do it again once the weather starts to cool down.
Some random things from my run:
- Two awesome shirt sayings: “Not Running Sucks.” and “I Will What I Want”
- Thinking about the fact that runners must be a little crazy. Who else gets up at 5:30 a.m. on a Saturday to run?!
- Fantasizing about what I would do
ifwhen I win the lottery
- Dreaming about getting my registration confirmed email after registering for Boston Marathon in September…
- Analyzing whether we should have BBQ or tacos for lunch. Still no decision made.
Anyone else doing a long run today/this weekend? What do you think — BBQ or tacos?
What would you do if you won the lottery?
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Facebook